4 October 2009 30 Comments

Sunday Email 39: The Story Of My List

If you’re new to my subscription and wondering what is a “Sunday Email”, it’s an email full of my rants, personal tips and opinions on marketing especially in the “internet marketing” niche. Sometimes, opinions on life. Whatever it is… it’ll give you value after spending time reading it. To make sure you won’t miss any future issue, subscriber for free at www.sundayemail.com. You can still read the archive at my old blog.

You know– sometimes my Sunday Emails can be harsh. Cuts through like a ninja’s blade. But come on, they’re my rants. If I want to keep everyone happy and write about the colorful rainbow, birds chirping, flowers blooming, etc then I should just opens up a nursery home and take care of children.

So if you can relate to what I wrote when reading it– good because I know it had just served the purpose of helping people.

Re: The Story Of My List

In 2003, I discovered the most important thing that I have to do in order to make money online consistently - it’s none other than building a mailing list.

Back then, I was nobody and don’t even have a product of my own. My first product, which is a personal development ebook, was only created in middle of 2004.

Today, I want to share with you the pivotal point of how I get to where I am and I think if you absorb the lessons behind the story, you’ll accelerate your internet success. No kidding.

You see, when I first started out, I don’t know any ‘advance’ tactics or strategies to get traffic.

It all started with an opt-in page.

Not a website or a blog and so on, but just a single page that does nothing else than asking the website visitors to subscribe. That webpage is still active today, eSuccessMastery.com, although the design have changed since the first time it was published.

The way how I built my list at that time was by offering a free ebook for anyone subscribing to my list. Once they subscribed for free, they’ll get my free ebook. Now, this tactic might not be very effective anymore today - remember, this was used 6 YEARS AGO.

But the concept is still evergreen - it might not be an ebook, it could be an audio course or a video tutorial to make the offer more attractive.

Understand this list building mechanism: You will get subscribers if you give a GOOD REASON for your website visitors to subscribe and if it’s totally risk-free (they can unsubscribe anytime they want) for them. That’s it. There’s no real ‘magic’ to list building, the rest are just the elaborations, tactics and technicality. No offer, no opt-in. No opt-in, no list. Got it? Good.

Just think it this way– if you give enough value, people will be willing to ‘trade’ their email for that. But at the same time, you cannot give over-value because it’ll look ‘desperate’ or too-good-to-be-true.

Now, I won’t get into the details of how the opt-page should look like or what is the content of your free gift to be valuable for the trade. You got to do your own reading on copywriting and product creation. I’ve got the Chan Do Internet Success System Version 2009 to show you how to do that and I’m proud to sell you to buy right now because it’s the BEST VALUE course I’ve ever sold, period.

The only missing ingredient to build a list is traffic.

And I’ll tell you how I get my traffic when I first started out in 2003…

My free ebook was distributed for free at www.free-ebooks.net. Not only that, it was on its main page as ‘top download’. This website is ranked on page #1 of Google for the keyword called, ‘free ebook’ and gets traffic from many other sources.

Now, inside my ebook, it has a link back to my opt-in page and many of the readers actually end up going to my webpage to find out more of what I have to offer. Then they subscribe.

I could spend 6 months trying to learn about search engines and still fail miserably. Or I could spend my time to build a relationship. This is why, I’ve published the “The Internet Marketing ‘Secret’ That Gurus Don’t Tell” article the other day to stress the true secret of internet success. My friend, FOCUS ON RELATIONSHIP.

This goes without saying that I’ll be forever grateful to Eva Almeida (owner of free-ebooks.net at that time) for helping me. Today, if she asks any favor from me, I’ll definitely say ‘yes’without even thinking twice (see how relationship takes effect again?). Now, at that time, I could present the best offer possible and she might still say no. This is why it’s critical to build a relationship first before anything else.

I’ve read comments on my blog saying that it’s hard to get joint venture partners to promote their products because they can’t promote the joint partner’s products without having a list.

That’s true.

But I disagree.

Because you’re not thinking creative enough or willing to work harder. I know it sounded harsh and if you feel the pinch, then I think I’ve done my job to wake you up. Stop reading if you don’t like the ‘pinch’ or to face the truth. I couldn’t care less because I want to give my attention on people who have a passion to be successful – they’re much easier to show them how to reach there.

If you don’t have a list, doesn’t that just remind you that you need to build one? Otherwise, you’ll still have this lame reason next year. Note this: Everyone started with NO LIST.

Don’t want to build one YET?

Fine. Then take out some money from your pocket and buy PPC/Google Adwords traffic or newsletter ads (you can find a directory of newsletters that are selling ads everyday at www.direzines.com).

Don’t have the money to buy ads? Well, then start saving your money to invest for your business. Enough said.

Summary - two keys to your internet success, your list and your relationship with other people.

If you’ve find value in what you read today, please leave a Comment or feedback? Needless to say, I will definitely appreciate it because I read all Comments personally and gotten the chance to know you at the same time.

Patric Chan

—–

Comments

30 Responses to “Sunday Email 39: The Story Of My List”

1. Gobala Krishnan 4 October 2009 at 9:32 PM #

Ah I got some ideas just from reading this post, thanks PC.

2. Ammar Zahar 4 October 2009 at 9:35 PM #

great post, Patric. Now I know you are very succesful online – because you have a relationship with some top guns. Hope we can do a JV one day..:)

3. Noor Azman 4 October 2009 at 9:39 PM #

I still enjoy reading your sunday email even though it has been sometime now. hope you still remember me :)

keep sharing.

4. Bryan Hee 4 October 2009 at 9:58 PM #

Agreed with you that the money is in the relationship you built with your list!

Relationship with your List= Money in your pocket!

To your success,
    Bryan Hee

5. Allysia 4 October 2009 at 9:58 PM #

Great information, thanks. I will take a few of your tips. I like your Sunday mail.

6. yuzafi 4 October 2009 at 10:02 PM #

A typical ideas but many people doesn’t realize it.

7. Leila 4 October 2009 at 10:02 PM #

Hi Patric, I like your Sunday email and I agree with you about relationships. Lists though I understand a bit better. Thanks.

8. Nathan Onn 4 October 2009 at 10:12 PM #

Thanks for sharing, patric. As what you say, squeeze page, free report may be a bit out to date. However, it’s still very effective until today.

If you don’t how to drive traffic to your ‘free’ offer, why not try ‘give away events’! This is the best place to build your mailing list. I personally used this method to build my list :) It really work and it doesn’t require a lot of work as well :)

Regards,
    Nathan

9. faizal 4 October 2009 at 10:23 PM #

i have been subcriber PC since 2006. Got a lot of tips from him

10. Victor 4 October 2009 at 11:19 PM #

What I get from the article is, start building an optin-page and you can start building a relationship. No optin-page, no relationship. Building a simple optin-page is easy as pie. But why I still don’t make money until now is because I didn’t start building one yet.

This is because I’m wasting time thinking how to create follow-up messages to load in my autoresponder, and filling the follow-up messages with content and affiliate link. I have a hosting account and autoresponder – but it is still there, lying unuse.

Now my focus is building my optin-page first and offering free product. I’ll create my follow-up messages and think about getting traffic after that. Thanks to Patric for opening my eyes subtly to focus in one thing before do another things.

11. Mel Smith 4 October 2009 at 11:19 PM #

Your so right, to push the relationships is what is needed to become more successful, as now we have Twitter and facebook.

Without personal relationships, you will be called a spammer on those web 2.0 places. You need to be excepted, or you will be ignored.
    Google sends lots of traffic to my blog, cause I give great healthy information to my visitors with good content about Natural health. It works for me.

12. Elman 4 October 2009 at 11:35 PM #

Thanks Patric, your sunday email really inspire me to speed up my online biz.

Elman

13. Jacqui Evans 5 October 2009 at 12:17 AM #

Thank you Patric. This is my first `sunday email. And can I say I found it helpful. And I look forward to the next one. Have a great week.

14. Jacqui Evans 5 October 2009 at 12:24 AM #

Hi Patric.
    Thank you for todays email. It was fantastic.

15. George Tee 5 October 2009 at 12:39 AM #

That’s definitely a wake up call for most of the internet marketers who find all kind of excuses.. excellent post there Patric! And I think i definitely need to kick away some of my excuses too for not writing good blogs!

16. Alex Yeo 5 October 2009 at 12:56 AM #

I like this: “Everyone started with NO LIST”

Many new marketers keep grumbling that they can’t be as successful as the gurus because they don’t have a huge mailing list. BUT they have forgotten that the exact same gurus started with ZERO email list as well. You just need to get started.

However, on the other hand, it doesn’t mean that having a mailing list is the only way to succeed online. It’s just only one of the methods. :)

17. Jens P. Berget 5 October 2009 at 2:43 AM #

I’m doing now, what you were doing six years ago. I’m giving away a free ebook that I’ve written in order to get people to sign up for my newsletter.

Before I wrote the ebook and created this opportunity, it was hard to get people to sign up. Now it’s not. People sign up every single day, without me doing anything. It’s all automated on my blog.

It works great for me.

I have also been looking at what Tim Ferriss (the four hour workweek) is doing on his blog, he explains “the 7 reasons why you need to subscribe”.

- jens -

18. Giovanni 5 October 2009 at 2:45 AM #

Thanks Patric, My first time on ‘sunday email”.Very to the point and informative.looking forward to the next one.

19. kanayo Jeswani 5 October 2009 at 2:46 AM #

Hi Chan.
    I really enjoyed your Sunday E mail and hope to learn more from you, and in the bargain hope, same will definitely get converted in to cash for every body associated with you being the mentor for internet marketing for every body. Keep up the good work.
    Regards.
    Jeswani.

20. carmen 5 October 2009 at 4:33 AM #

Hi Patric,
    it is always refreshing to read your Sunday Mails. And inspiring too. Your short film brought me to an idea. Thanks Patric. Have a wonderful week.

21. Wendy Owen 5 October 2009 at 5:15 AM #

Thanks Patrick

The thing to remember is you only have to start. Once you have one person subscribing to your list, this will give you the incentive to follow through.

So even if you only have one message in your AR, that’s fine. Baby steps!

Wendy

22. wai kei from companyimagebranding.com 5 October 2009 at 6:40 AM #

When I go wandering to get “the next shiny object”, your posts on the basics bring me back to reality.
    Build my list to build my business.

23. Patrick 5 October 2009 at 8:47 AM #

Hi,

I love short and compact articles like this one.

Thanks Patric

24. George Lew 5 October 2009 at 11:08 AM #

It’s time to wake up. Whether like it or not, there’s something to cost, your time, effort or money (the faster way).

25. Elvin Tiong 5 October 2009 at 12:52 PM #

Thanks Patric.

You bring out the points — listbuilding and relationship building.
    Starting is not easy, I believe that.

If anyone who doesn’t want to spend much money, there are always some free and cheaper way but may be slower and not so effective. I’ve failed several times already but I learned some lessons everytime I hit the wall.

26. Zahrul Azua 5 October 2009 at 2:36 PM #

No doubt

27. Joewatson Gakuo 5 October 2009 at 3:45 PM #

This article is great. Am building my website and this information has come at the right time. We’ll definately put it into consideration before launching.

28. Jamie 5 October 2009 at 4:44 PM #

There is so much trickeries in internet marketing now that just by being honest and delivering good solid content has separated Patric from the rest. From my experience, Eric Holmlund, Marlon Sanders and Patric Chan are guys that walk the talk. I am sure there are others but for now, these guys are good starting points.

29. Neo chan 13 October 2009 at 5:18 PM #

Really Thanks Patric. I little bit regret not started on building email list when I started IM.. I also really hate those “gurus” that said email marketing was dead. Hope not too late to start on email marketing. I also found out Gobala came out with new email marketing stuff after reading your post. :)

30. Michelle 18 October 2009 at 10:11 AM #

Hi Patric, Your posts always provides me with up- to- date useful info .

It sure is true;without a qualitied list, you have no business.

List building and providing great info has been my main focus for a while now , once I decided to do that and stopped jumping all over the place, I started heading in the right – read profitable direction. Thanks for your Sunday emails – always inspiring!